Financial support to tenants
Two subsidy programs for special groups (low income households) make up part of the financing of housing cooperatives. According to its program, the cooperative reserves a percentage of its housing units to specific clientele.
RENT SUPPLEMENT (SAL) RENT SUPPLEMENT PROGRAM (PSL)
Provincial subsidy establishing the rent at 25 % of the family income. The subsidy is reserved for low income individuals and families and for handicapped people or people who find themselves in an exceptional situation.
- One room appartment One person or a couple - $28,000
- Two rooms appartment 2 or 3 people except couples - $33,000
- Three rooms appartment 4 or 5 people - $38,000
- Four rooms appartment 6 people - $55,000
RENT-GEARED TO INCOME SUBSIDY (RGI)
Federal subsidy paid by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation to the cooperative who must then distribute the amount received between its members who spend a higher percentage of their income to pay their rent. Reserved for the cooperatives under the Section 95 program.
THE DIFFERENT PROGRAMS AND THE TYPES OF SUBSIDIES AVAILABLE
- Section 95 program (formerly called 56.1 Program) : A minimum of 15% of housing units are subsidized according to the RGI (rent-geared to income)
- Section 61 program (formerly called 34.18 program : communities with mixed income, SAL PSL for certain projects according to the finances)
- ILM program: 25 % of households receive a rent supplement (SAL) from the Rent supplement program (PSL).
- AccèsLogis Québec, PARCO , (a buying-renovation program), RES-M (Résolution Montréal) : 40 % and more of the households receive a rent supplement (SAL)
- PHASOM : low rents according to finances
- PIQ (Programme intégré québécois) : some households receive rent supplement (SAL)
- LAQ (Logement abordable Québec) : No subside to tenants. 75% of housing units are reserved for low incomes individuals and families.
- PSBL-P program : PSBL-P is a distinct program where the household rent is calculated according to the By-law respecting the conditions for the leasing of dwellings in low-rental housing .
FECHIMM is in charge of the list of applicants for the cooperatives in the PSBL-P program via Central-Logement-Coop office (FR).